In my opinion, künefe is the best Turkish dessert! It is very sweet and honestly not very good for your waistline, but what cake is good for that anyways? It is best to serve künefe warm. Here is a great recipe:
Ingredients for künefe:
- 600 ml of water
- 600 grams of sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon pekmez (grape syrup)
- 250 grams kadayif (shredded dough, sold in Turkish grocery stores!)
- 150g unsalted Turkish white cheese (available in Turkish grocery stores!)
- 1 lemon
Preparing the syrup:
- Add the water and sugar to a pan on the stove.
- Cook for 20 minutes.
- In the meantime squeeze the lemon to get lemon juice.
- Add the lemon juice to the pan after the 20 minutes of cooking.
- Let the lemon and syrup cook together for about 1 minute, stirring well the whole time.
- Turn off the heat and let the syrup cool off completely.
- While the syrup is cooling, start preparing the künefe (see below)