As someone who usually skipped breakfast in the Netherlands, I learned in Istanbul to savor this important moment of the day. Breakfast is more than just a meal for the Turkish people. This is the time to come together with family and friends and enjoy a full table with bowls and trays filled with a variety of hot and cold breakfast dishes. One of my favorite breakfast dishes is menemen.
Menemen is an egg dish made with vegetables which should not be missed out on a Turkish breakfast. Read the recipe below:
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 green chillies
- 1 red pepper
- 3 tomatoes
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons salt
Preparation of menemen:
- Put the butter and sunflower oil in the pan and let them heat up.
- Cut the onion, garlic and pepper into small pieces. Add them to the pan and stir for 5 minutes until they soften.
- Cut the tomatoes into small pieces and add them to the pan. Stir for another 5 minutes.
- Add the beaten eggs to the pan. Sprinkle with salt and black pepper.
- Stir the mixture in the pan for 5 minutes.